Monday, September 22, 2008

Older poems

Just found these and figured I'd throw these in here for your enjoyment.

Him
Let me be
What I used to be
Your heart
Your smile
Your sunshine and your starry night
Let me be your lover
Your best girl and your sweetheart
The one you run to
When things go wrong
And the girl you think about
Before you go to sleep at night
I miss you so much sometimes
Like right now.

The Boy
Soft Summer hugs
And Warm Winter Blankets
Our silly escapades
And Circle K runs
Laughing over stupid fights
And crying during The Princess Bride
Secret kisses while my parents
Looked away or down.
Riding in your PimpMobile
And listening to that same song
Twelve times.
Getting lost downtown
Cuz you refused to ask the bums for directions.
Sneaking out every night
To sit around at the Midnight Diner
Talking to the waitress
Who invited us to her wedding.
When you moved away
And left me…
Life was a blur
Of work, classes that now seemed unimportant,
And an emotional torrent that enveloped every aspect of my life
Phone calls
Every spare minute possible
That didn’t last.
Summer began and I came to be with you.
And we know that it’s only a matter of time.
But I miss the naïveté
And the childish games
When you were
My lover, my high school sweetheart
And my best friend.

THE QUEEN
Creeping through the long whisper-grass
Hunger will take me unless I conquer it first.
There! Just a few more leaps away
The She-meal bends her long throat
To sip from the deep waters.
I slink silently closer and closer.
Her jaw tenses and her ears flick back
Catching sounds.
Head raised, she gazes across the hunting grounds
I cease my breath.
Her blank stare misses me
And she returns to filling her belly
Secure in the lie that she is safe
While my hushed paws come closer.
Light filters through the monkey-trees
Casting shadows perfect for me to hide
Screaming birds call their warnings
In an unfamiliar language to the foolish She-meal.
My muscles ripple as I noiselessly
Poise for attack.

I'm sure there is other stuff. For now, this is it though.

No comments: